- At least one gunman opened fire this morning at the Washington Naval Yards in Washington D.C.
- U.S. Navy confirms 12 people dead and at up to 15 injured in the mass shooting
- One suspect is dead and identified as 34-year-old Texan man Aaron Alexis
- Police and FBI in the capital have said that there could be one other gunmen dressed in military fatigues on the loose
- Search on for man described as being five-foot-ten inches tall, African-American and brandishing a long gun
- Special ATF team that dealt with the Boston bombings in April sent to shooting site
- Two women have also reportedly lost their lives in the shooting
- Man in his 60s confirmed dead with gunshot wound to the head
- All of the people wounded are in critical condition, authorities said
- President Obama: ‘Today they faced the unimaginable violence they wouldn’t have expected at home.’
- The Senate has recessed for the day in light of the Washington Navy Yard incident, Senator Reid says
James Nye, Louise Boyle and David Martosko
September 16, 2013
Named as 34-year-old civilian contractor Aaron Alexis, the Brooklyn native entered the cafeteria in the Washington D.C. military base brandishing an AR-15 rifle, shotgun and handgun and began shooting.
After SWAT teams swarmed the headquarters of the Naval Sea Systems Command the FBI said that Alexis died following his rampage, during which witnesses said he appeared to fire at selected targets and not randomly.
Washington D.C.’s FBI field office reportedly said that they have ‘all assets out’ as they search for one other possible shooter they described as a black man in his 40s or his 50s.
Washington D.C. police chief Cathy Lanier said the other potential gunman was wearing a military-style uniform and has greying sideburns.
‘It appears that we have at least 12 fatalities … it doesn’t get much more serious than that, obviously,’ said Washington D.C. Mayor Vincent Gray.
‘We have no known motive at this stage. We will continue the investigation to try and figure out what that motive is.’
Previously, Washington D.C. police chief Cathy Lanier said that law enforcement were searching for two individuals, one white and one black.
However, police have said they have identified the white individual and he’s not a suspect or person of interest
‘The big concern for us right now is that we have potentially two other shooters that we have not located at this point,’ Lanier said earlier this afternoon.
Witnesses reported one man described as an African-American male dressed in military fatigues and armed with an AR-15 assault rifle opening fire upon entering the base at the Naval Sea System Command HQ.
Police are investigating whether the ID of a former Navy petty officer called Rollie Chance was used by Alexis to gain entrance to the the Navy Yard compound.
FBI investigators visited Chance’s home Monday but have not revealed how Alexis obtained the identification.
Todd Brundidge, an executive assistant with Navy Sea Systems Command, said he and other co-workers encountered a gunman in a long hallway of their building on the third floor. The gunman was wearing all blue, he said.
‘He just turned and started firing,’ Brundidge said.
Patricia Ward, who works at the Navy Yard, described how she was in the cafeteria when she heard ‘three gunshots, pow-pow-pow, straight in a row.’
‘All of the people that were in the cafeteria, we all panicked, and we were trying to decide which way we were going to run out,” she said to NBC News. “I just ran.’
Tim Hogan, a spokesman for Rep. Steven Horsford of Nevada, posted photos to his Twitter account of people helping someone who had been hit by gunfire.
The attacks came three days after al-Qaeda used the 12th anniversary of 9/11 to call for strikes on America.
The mass shooting was the deadliest in the United States since the massacre at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown Connecticut last December, and the worst at a military base since 13 people were killed at Fort Hood, Texas, in 2009.
Three people, including a Washington D.C. police officer, were admitted to MedStar Washington Hospital Center with gunshot wounds.
They are expected to survive, chief medical officer Janis Orlowski told reporters this afternoon during an emotional press conference.
Hundreds of SWAT and FBI rapid response units descended on the nation’s capital to deal with the situation which unfolded just before 8.30 a.m. this morning.