Hungarian Holocaust Survivors to Receive Reparations

by Sam Sokol
The Jerusalem Post
July 7th, 2013

survivors

The government of Hungarian Prime Minister Viktor Orbán settled an ongoing feud with the Conference of Material Claims Against Germany on Saturday, signing a deal to resume providing reparations to Hungarian Holocaust survivors located abroad.

In 2007, Hungary pledged $21 million to be distributed over five years to native Holocaust survivors, facilitated in part by the Claims Conference.

A new settlement was to be signed last year before Budapest’s decision to freeze money transfers.

Budapest cited concerns over bookkeeping and transparency regarding the disbursement of the funds and sought the return of $12.6m. that the government said it gave the Claims Conference.

The Claims Conference said it only received $8m. for distribution among Hungarian Holocaust survivors living outside that country.

Read More

Leave a Reply