October 12, 2018
Honestly, I’m still having a hard time processing the fact that the Saudis killed this journalist in their own embassy and chopped him up.
But at this point, they must have done it. Or they would be protesting more, giving the video, whatever.
And the fact that they haven’t presented some fall guy yet seems to back up the claim that the prince himself ordered it.
How did they think they would get away with this? Are they really just this stupid? Or is there some larger conspiracy at work here that I’m missing?
Media companies are pulling out of a Saudi investment conference because of growing outrage over the disappearance of a prominent Saudi journalist in Turkey.
Economist Editor-In-Chief Zanny Minton Beddoes will not participate in the Future Investment Initiative conference in Riyadh, spokeswoman Lauren Hackett said in an email.
Andrew Ross Sorkin, a CNBC anchor and New York Times business journalist, tweeted that he was not attending the conference, saying he was “terribly distressed by the disappearance of journalist Jamal Khashoggi and reports of his murder.”
Pressure has mounted on Saudi Arabia since Khashoggi, a critic of Saudi policies, went missing. He was last seen entering the Saudi consulate in Istanbul on Oct. 2.
The New York Times Co has also decided to pull out of the event as a media sponsor, spokeswoman Eileen Murphy said.
The Financial Times said in a statement that it was reviewing its involvement as a media partner.
Uber Technologies Inc [UBER.UL] Chief Executive Officer Dara Khosrowshahi said in a statement he won’t attend the FII conference in Riyadh unless substantially different set of facts emerge.
Viacom Inc CEO Bob Bakish, who was slated to speak at the conference, has decided to not attend the event, company spokesman Justin Dini said.
Other media companies slated to appear at the conference include CNN and Bloomberg, according to the event’s website.
They will all pull out, in sequence.
This is all happening.
Branson has also pulled out of something.
Virgin Group founder Richard Branson has suspended a $1 billion investment project with Saudi Arabia due to the disappearance of Washington Post columnist Jamal Khashoggi.
Branson made the announcement Thursday as US Senators sparked an investigation into the circumstances surrounding the mystery of the missing US resident and Saudi critic.
“What has reportedly happened in Turkey around the disappearance of journalist Jamal Khashoggi, if proved true, would clearly change the ability of any of us in the West to do business with the Saudi Government,” Branson said in a statement.
“We have asked for more information from the authorities in Saudi and to clarify their position in relation to Mr Khashoggi.”
The Saudi government announced its intention to invest $1 billion into Virgin Galactic and Virgin Orbit last year, according to CNBC.
As far as conspiracies go, the Washington Post has said that the US knew about the plan.
Before Khashoggi’s disappearance, U.S. intelligence intercepted communications of Saudi officials discussing a plan to capture him, according to a person familiar with the information. The Saudis wanted to lure Khashoggi back to Saudi Arabia and lay hands on him there, this person said. It was not clear whether the Saudis intended to arrest and interrogate Khashoggi or to kill him, or if the United States warned Khashoggi that he was a target, this person said.
I don’t really know how the Post would have sources on that, so it’s probably fake news – but somebody knew about it.
Maybe this is a reverse conspiracy by the good guys to get the Jews to demand that we cut all funding to Israel’s greatest ally…?